Video Surplus: The World's Last VHS Store? My Pics Of The Glorious Spot...


While I was in Phoenix visiting my folks the other week I stumbled across a gem of a spot, an honest to gosh VHS Store! Yep! Dude, I couldn't believe it. My pics don't really do the place justice. It was wall to wall VHS, with a few DVDs thrown in here and there... 


That pic is of the wall as you walk in. There were a lot of tapes that were made off of the TV.. Like people's recordings of stuff. Most of it is sports. 

You know? When you find people's old tapes they are almost always either Sports or PBS.. Sometimes movies off of pay cable like HBO and stuff. Almost never like old cartoons with the commercials left in.. 


I bought all of these wrestling tapes. They cost me 3 dollars each.. I was cool with that. I wanted to and did hang out there for a real long time so I felt like I had to buy something. It wouldn't be fair to hang out forever and then just bounce.. I wanted the tapes but it was almost a donation. I want this store to be here the next time I get to Arizona...


This is the front counter. At one point dude just left the store for about 20 minutes. I don't really know where he went. It was kind of fun when he was gone though. I felt like back when I was in the Video Store Game.. Just you alone in the store... doodling around..  
Those weren't the real prices of things. He had signs everywhere but when you got to the counter he'd just wing it.
There was an extensive adult room behind that window. A lot of it was VHS which is super cool.. big box 80's films and whatnot..  Those weren't the real prices of things. He had signs everywhere but when you got to the counter he'd just wing it.  The aisles where really small.. There is no way you could like roll a chair through the store. You could barely walk through them.


That's part of the charm though. The fact that you could die if there was an earthquake. Do they have quakes in Arizona? I don't think so. So uhm, if the shelves fell on you cuz of some reason. You're merked. The fun is in the danger.


Here is a close up of some of the tapes on the shelf. It's cool and also weird to sell these sort of things. I mean, it's cool but I've never seen a dude dedicate shelf space to people's recordings of Nascar or whatever....


Horror movies were actually 5 bucks. Dude told me that they were his biggest seller. As a dude who occasionally sells some VHS I can agree that Horror is the biggest seller. I think people just dig on the crazy covers and stuff. 



Peep out this video I shot. I was so shook at being in a video store of this kind so I shot it while holding the camera straight up.. I hate that and am surprised that I did it.. I'm glad that you can hear The Rockford Files theme in the background. Dude was watching a tape made off of TV while we were in there.. Commercials for used cars and whatever popped up and they looked like 80's or early 90's style.. 

This place was FANTASTIC!  If you are ever in the Phoenix Arizona area look them up and drop in. It's totally worth it. Make sure to buy something. Consider it a donation to keeping the world Retro... 

Comments