Video Store Pics: TROY Silver Screen Video Petaluma California


Dang, another Sonoma County Video Store goes down in the game. This time it's Silver Screen over in Petaluma. Petaluma is a couple of towns over from Santa Rosa where I live. It's maybe 30 minutes or so away depending on traffic. 

We go over to Peta sometimes to get pizza. They have this AMAZING Deep Dish Pizza place there, Old Chicago Pizza. It's so good. Anyhow, everytime we go over to get a pie we stop in at Silver Screen.. I'm really sad that the tradition is going to be broken. After 30 years in the video biz Silver Screen is shutting down for good in a couple of months...


Silver Screen is a really big store. It's seriously as big as a Blockbuster used to be. It's a lot like Blockbuster really with the white shelving and such. I do like Silver Screen but I also have to admit that it's a bit plain. I like my video stores to be a bit freaky with piles of stuff everywhere..That's just me though. I imagine that for the most part folks like their stores to be clean and organized which Silver Screen for sure is. 


Silver Screen has a really solid rental collection. Most of it is DVD which is really the industry standard but I kind of prefer Blu Ray. They have them of course just not as many as they do DVD. It's all good though. The DVD selection is vast and they have a ton of previously viewed ones for sale at cut rate prices.

They also break the store up into a million little sub categories which kind of make things hard to find but if you are just browsing around looking for whatever it's kind of fun to look at all the little sections to see what's there. 

                            

One thing that I'm not super stoked about is how long they keep movies on the new release wall. I mean, Justice League was up there and that's been playing on HBO for like a year. IDK, I get it, New Releases rent for more loot... When I used to work at Bradley Video BITD they called the New Release Wall, New Releases AND Top Hits... That way you could keep things there as long as you considered them a Top Hit!


Overall my takeaway from all this is that it's really sad to see another store close down. While I didn't frequent Silver Screen as much as I do my beloved Joe Video it was nice to know that it was there and to know that I'd get to stop in and suck up some nostalgia every time I was over in Petaluma.. 

Speaking of Petaluma my other favorite nostalgia spot over there K-Mart seems to be going strong. We dipped through there after we hit up Silver Screen and there were a fair amount of folks buying things. It made me happy to see that. I am a HUGE! K-Mart fan and could not handle them shutting down too. 

So many of the places I dig are going the wayside lately.. Comics FTW, K-Mart Santa Rosa, Joe Video in Bennett Valley.. 

It does make me think that I have to try and appreciate the places I love while they are still around to love. If you take anything thing from this post let it be that.. Love things while you still can.... 

Comments