Vintage Movie Ads From A 1974 Newspaper, Death Wish! APES! Plus A Couple Others!


Hey kids. I found another old newspaper at The Flea Market. This one was a SF Chronicle just like the last one that I found but this one is a bit older. It's from August 9th 1974.  I was like 8 months old at the time that it was published. 

I really dig old newspapers. They are the PERFECT way to get a real slice of what life was like at a certain time. When I come across one what I look for the most is the advertisements. Sadly this one didn't have the coupon section which is my real fave but aside from that it was complete.

When I come up on what of these after I dig through the coupons for toys and weird old food products and clothe and then I head over to the movie listings. It's great to see what and how they were selling these flicks back in the day. I'm always hoping to come across a Star Wars ad or something sci-fi like that. I didn't find that this time but I did come across and scan in a few cool ones. Let's take a look. 

This one is a bit hard to read. Click on it. It get's bigger!

This one was monumentally sized. It took up like a serious 3rd of the page. Man, they were giving Death Wish a GIANT PUSH! They call it a "Provocatively Made Shocker" ya, it was maybe that. IDK, I've seen it and there is a bit too much sexual assault for my taste. I'm also not a big Bronson dude. I think that he had a certain something that 70's dudes were into that really doesn't carry over to 80's kids like I was. I might be wrong about that. I might just not be that into him. I don't know. On a side note, I saw the remake of Death Wish that Eli Roth put out this year. It was terrible.


I have never seen this movie. To be honest I am not so sure that I even knew that it existed. I wonder what it's like. I think that if I  saw this ad in the paper I might have, No, I for sure would have wanted to see it. Especially with that little blurb from Playboy hailing it as "The Most Gruesome Epic Ever Released" Who could possibly pass that up. Plus it's in 3D. Not the lame 3D That we have today. I imagine that this is the cool old Blue/Red paper glasses 3D. 


This one is right in my wheelhouse. I love me some Apes! I'm not super into the current ones, they are fine but not as cool as the originals. Not to me anyhow. I love this ad so much though. It's really creative. Go Ape!. 

It's for a gosh-darn APE MARATHON! How awesome is that? I would so go and check that out. It's  dope because the marathon is playing all week continuously so you can drop in at different times and see different movies. Man, what a way to spend a day. Just sitting around and Ape-Ing out while eating popcorn and Reese's Pieces.. 


Sorry that this one is so wrinkly. I cut the other ones out but this one had something cool on the other side that I wanted to scan in so I had to fold it up and it made the scan look weird. I can't explain the color difference though. That's just weird. Sorry. I'm also not super familiar with this movie. I'm not the biggest Kung-Fu Flick dude. I like some of them but I don't have the depth of knowledge that some guys have. It looks cool though. 

Is that dude in the center being shot? It looks like something bad is happening to him or he's busting forward through a finish line. Also, what is that hand holding in the foreground? Some sort of mechanic tool? It looks like an attachment for that thing that use to remove nuts from things, or to put them in I guess.. I'm not all that handy. A Ratchet? I think that's what it's called.  



I tossed this scan in just for the fun of it. Man, there are some great sounding restaurants here. I dig The Steakery and The Joe's Of Westlake. The Chuck Wagon sounds cool but it's not a buffet joint like my beloved Santa Rosa Chuck Wagon. My favorite though is toward the bottom. It's called Solomon Grundy's. I'm going to imagine that it's run by the DC Comics villain and that he makes occasional appearances and goes around and gladhands the patrons. 

Which one of these is your favorite? If you had to make a movie/dinner date night what movie would you pick and what restaurant? I'm thinking I'd go to The Ape Marathon for a bit and then leave when we're bored and go to Grundy's.. Oh, what a night!

Comments