Three Pages From A 1984 Video Concepts Newspaper Advertisement


I only scanned in 3 of the 6 pages from this advert. Not out of laziness, well a little bit out of laziness but mostly because the other pages weren't especially interesting. There wasn't like LD players or anything like that there, mostly like phones and things like that. Don't worry. 

Let's see, the first page here has some cool stuff on it like video cameras and such. I used to want a VHS Camera so bad. I don't know what I would have recorded. Prolly nothing interesting. Most likely I'd tape stuff like our dog running around or me wrestling my brother. That actually might have been interesting.. I was the master of the vertical suplex..

The thing that is most interesting to me is how that page yellowed with age and the other ones didn't. Weird.


This page is terrific! There are Audio Tapes, A dope stereo with a remote control, some cool old style foam covered ear-phones and a Killer Red Boombox! I had a Boombox but it wasn't red. I bet you red one's play louder. They used to make a lot or red electronics in the 80's. It was a hot color like Teal was in the 90's.. 

The blank tapes are kind of pricey, the high bias ones go for 4.90 and the regular ones are 2.90. For that price you might as well go and buy the tape that you plan on copying. It's just about the same price..

Those headphones are pretty steep too.. 29 bucks! That's like a 3rd of the price of those full on speakers to the left of them. Little things used to cost more BITD. It was hard to shrink things down back then. 


More red stuff. VCRs this time. Man! I would have loved to have that Red VHS. It's so dope and the remote control is Red Too! Nice attention to details. I like the one that is to the right of it as well. It looks like the one that they have on The Goldbergs. I dig a top-loader. I like how the tray pops out and makes that mechanical noise. Man! Both those units are pricey going for around 500 bucks or so..

Dig that one in the lower right hand corner. Totally portable and RED too! Complete with a wired control as well.. all for only 700 dollars or so.. But it's portable and has a handle.. The 1st three are all exclusive to Video-Concepts. Not the 4th one though..It's just a plain old VCR.. so sad for it.. So common. 

Well, there you have it guys. VCRs, Boom-Boxes, Foamy Ear-Phones and all sorts of other 80's types electronics. I really miss electronics stores like Video-Concepts. Circuit City was a fave of mine. I bought my first DVD player there. The Good Guys was a lot of fun too. 

Sure, there is still Best Buy and it is fun to go there and look around but you can tell that the chain is in it's waning days so going there is kind of a bummer. Plus they don't really carry CD's and DVDs like they used to so browsing isn't quite as fun as it used to be. Man! I used to buy TONS of DVDs back when I 1st got my player at Circuit City.. I guess I had to replace all my VHS tapes with cool digital copies... Last bit of whatever before I roll.. Video-Concepts was owned by Tandy.. That makes the whole thing double 80's doesn't it? 

Comments