Flea Market Finds: Some Kid Named Brian's 80's Sticker Collection


I used to collect stickers when I was in elementary school. I had a very meager collection. Nothing awesome just lots of hearts, sheets of hearts and also like those "stamps" that you would get with pictures of magazines you could subscribe to. Was that Publisher's Clearinghouse? I think it was. Anyway that was pretty much what my collection was like and then one day I lost it. Like BOOM! It just disappeared. 

Didn't turn up for, no lie, 10 years, when we unfolded an old sofa bed we had in a rarely used guestroom and there it was. I have no idea how it got there. No one EVER went in there and used that bed. I suspect foul play of some sort.

I don't know why these pics are so dark. Sweet DK Puffy's though. 
So anyhow, I had some stickers, lost them, found them and didn't really care that much about them when I finally got back up in em'. Still though when I picked up this kid named Brian's sticker collection at the flea market this past weekend I was pretty stoked. He had MUCH better stickers than I did. There are Video Game ones, Shogun Warriors, Big Garbage Pail Kids, you name it. Dude had an awesome collection of stickers!

Mazinger! If you click on the pic it enlarges.

Here's how it came to be. I saw a photo album sitting in some dude's stuff and I picked it up. I like people's wacky pictures. I always look when I see vintage photo albums.

I think the gold would be like toy pics from back then. Birthday Parties and X-Mas. Halloween would be great too. Anyway, I picked up the album and it wasn't polaroid's of random events oh no way, it was stickers!


Scholastic Video Game Stickers
I was overjoyed. I find these sort of collections every once and again. Nothing this great though.At one point I had a really big book full of girl's stickers that I sold at this very same flea market. Now that I think about it, I regret it. I'd like to have those stickers back. There were some scratch and sniff ones I'd like to check out. My favorite was Pizza. I love that weird fake Pizza smell.

Dig those big GPK stickers!

I wasn't the biggest GPK guy. Some dudes LOVED them. I thought that they were cool but they were never my favorite things. They're dope and I thought that they were funny and all but I'd always stick them on things when I got the actual stickers. I didn't save them or anything like this kid here. I didn't see them that way.

I liked to put them on things in public. Like so I'd scare someone or something. IDK, it felt counter-culture or something. 


I really dig these Dragon's Lair ones. I sucked at that game so hard. I was THE WORST. I don't know how many times I even got past the 1st part. They had it down at Round Table Pizza. Right where the jukebox that no one ever uses nowadays is. I'd walk down there anytime I could gather up 4 quarters. I'd walk down there, pop em in, die and walk back home.

Those Smurf things are like license plates.

These 4 pages of black stickers are amongst my faves of all of these. They are so great that I don't know if I could ever imagine sticking them. They are so 80's. All Neon and stuff.

Sorry about the reflection. I really wanted pics of these but I couldn't find a way to get one without that glare. I'm not really that creative of a photographer. These are from Return Of The Jedi. (Duh, Jabba The Hutt is right there.

More Scholastic Video Game Stickers

The stickers were so cheap. I don't want to say what I paid for them but considering that they are great and prolly priceless, I really got a steal. The one downside to all of this is that the stickers are stuck to the pages. 

You know, photo albums have sticky pages and over the years,and  you have to consider that they've been in there since the 80's, over the years the stickers have become totally stuck.I suppose that I could take the stickers off of their individual pages if I wanted to. I don't think I want to stick any of them though. 

The album is perfect like how it is right now. Despite being like more than 30 years old it's still practically right out of Brian's hand. I consider this to be a super great find. It's one of a kind with no chance of another being like it anywhere. There are other sticker books out there but this one belonged to some kid named Brian who lived in Santa Rosa. 

Comments